London Stansted boosts green credentials with Recycling Week incentives
- 2000 hot drink cups will be handed out to staff this week
- Stansted sends 0% waste to landfill and already recycles 75% of waste
- Week of activity will highlight green successes to staff while encouraging better recycling practice
London Stansted Airport is handing out more than 2000 re-useable coffee cups to staff this week, one of a number of activities aiming to boost its already impressive green credentials.
In a bid to reduce the use of disposable coffee cups, re-useable ‘vision green’ branded beakers are on offer to all Manchester Airports Group staff across the airport. Although 100% of airport waste is currently diverted from landfill and 75% of Stansted’s refuse is recycled, takeaway cups are not easy to dispose of responsibly.
This is just one initiative in a week of activity aimed at highlighting the need to recycle across the business. Stansted’s Recycling Week kicked off on Monday with an exhibition with recycling facts, and a quiz to win ‘green’ prizes including desk plants. The week also includes a uniform amnesty for proper returning and recycling of un-needed uniform, as well as an ‘e-waste’ drop off for easy disposal of unwanted electronics.
The week will round up with a Recycle tour, for staff wishing to know more about the journey of items sent for recycling at the airport.
The aim of Recycling week is to highlight all the good work the business is doing to maintain and improve our environmental credentials, and to motivate even more colleagues to help us hit our ambitious targets for recycling and other initiatives.
The take up for the free cups has been great and testament to the appetite to be even greener at Stansted. We hope Recycling Week will become an annual event.
Stansted environmental credentials:
- From 2016/17 Stansted Airport’s operation became carbon neutral
- Stansted Airport hit recycling target with 0% of waste diverted from land fill and 75% of waste recycled
- 100% of electricity from renewable sources since Stansted was acquired by MAG
- Stansted has a higher proportion (53%) of passengers using public transport percentage than any other UK airport. Everyone working at Stansted gets an 80% reduction in the cost of public transport with 33% of staff using public transport for work journeys.
- Environmental standard ISO14001 accredited and the first UK airport to meet the energy management standard ISO50001